birding-aus

Further too Potential Disaster.

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Further too Potential Disaster.
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 00:57:16 -0700 (PDT)

G'day Paul and Birding-Ozzer's,

Isn't this a destroyer class 42 WAR ship? doesn't she carry more then just heavy crude? I sincerely hope total checks were carried out on her back? spine? Keel? shiver me timbers and splice the mainbarce. I hope ALL RAM rod's on board are safe?

JAG de Whag once known as "Pompey Lil" Haslar right authorities been alerted? oil slick could still take some time to break up? analysis of the slick ?????

Paul Walbridge <> wrote:

Hi Birding-aussers, I'm surprised this hasn't gotten a mention yet but I first heard about it as I woke up to the radio this morning. HMS Nottingham after delivering a sick sailor to Lord Howe Island ran aground on departure, on Wolf Rocks just a few Ks away. Early reports were sketchy but to me with my Navy experience, a flooded mess quarters forward meant probable damage to fuel tanks.

I've just read a more up todate report on ninemsn and my fears were well grounded. Locals report a substantial slick, it appears a lot of fuel just spilled out the bottom. Most Aussie warships converted to light fuel some time ago but this vessel appears to be operating on Furnace Fuel Oil, heavy crude.

This is slap bang in the middle of Providence Petrel season, hopefully their foraging grounds are further afield but I should imagine there is going to be some major kills with other seabirds also. I heard one radio report saying a pollutant control team was being rushed out, lets hope they get into action real quick, this could be horrendous. What also sickened me was a local quoted as saying that this was all most exciting with not much going on at Lord Howe at the moment. Cheers - Paul Walbridge.

Birding-Aus is on the Web at www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/index.html

Do You Yahoo!?