birding-aus

Recent observations

To: <>
Subject: Recent observations
From: "J & C Krohn" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 20:31:48 +1000
Folks,

Just a couple of recent observations that might be of interest.

Last Thursday I loooked out the window of the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council's office at Mornington to see a Crested Pigeon on the powerlines outside.  I hadn't seen a CP on the Peninsula before.

On Friday afternoon as I was driving by the Edithvale wetlands hide I stopped by and looked out over the wetland from the ramp (someone has recently cut back the reeds so there's quite a good view).  Among the birds in the shallows immediately in front of the hide was a single Magpie Goose.

And on Friday night my parents in Glen Iris heard a succession of hoarse, harsh screeches from the thick trees outside their house.  A search with the torch was unsuccessful but early on Saturday morning they had a brief glimpse of a broad-winged, pale bird as it took off silently and headed towards the red gums along Gardiners Creek - almost certainly a visiting Barn Owl.  Maybe another example of birds moving out towards the coast as things dry out inland.

Hope everyone else is getting a chance to see some birds.

Regards,

    Jack