birding-aus

Tassie foxes...A Politician's Response

To: <>
Subject: Tassie foxes...A Politician's Response
From: "P & V Horler" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:55:34 +1000
Hello Bill, Robert & others

I received the same reply as Robert from the Minister in Tasmania and was impressed.

I didn't receive a reply from Dr Kemp, but my daughter (who only addressed Dr Kemp on the subject) received the following reply:

"Dear Ms Gould

I refer to your e-mail of 27 February 2002 to the Minister for the
Environment and Heritage, the Hon David Kemp MP, concerning the
introduction of foxes into Tasmania.  The Minister has asked me to thank
you for your e-mail and respond on his behalf.

The Commonwealth recognises your concerns regarding fox sightings in
Tasmania. Department officers are currently working with their
counterparts in Tasmania to determine the best way to prevent the
establishment of this environmental pest in Tasmania.

In recognition of the significant impact foxes have on threatened
native species, a Threat Abatement Plan for the Predation by the
European Red Fox was developed by the Commonwealth in conjunction with
relevant State and Territory agencies and other stakeholders. This was
done in conjunction with the listing of foxes as a key threatening
process under the former Endangered Species Protection Act 1992.  This
Act, as you may be aware, has now been incorporated into the Environment
Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.  The Threat Abatement
Plan provides an overarching strategic framework in which to consider
the problems caused by foxes, current and future management tools and
actions considered necessary to manage the impacts of fox predation on
native species.

The Commonwealth has been a major investor in fox control projects.
Over $4.9 million from the Natural Heritage Trust has been invested in
projects designed to produce better methods of fox control, and to
improve the effectiveness and targeting of existing methods at a
national level.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and interest in this important issue.

Yours sincerely

Peter Komidar
Acting Assistant Secretary
Wildlife Australia"

Val Horler
One Mile, Queensland

> Bill,
>
> The Tasmanian Government is indeed taking the issue seriously.  As far as I
> can see the Dr Kemp (Federal Minister for Environment), and Environment
> Australia are not.  Some of the major environmental organisations are also
> showing a remarkable lack of interest.
>
> There is a need to keep prodding the Feds to give the Tasmanians more
> support.
>

> Robert Read
> Alice Springs
>

> Bill Moorhead wrote
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This was the answer I got from the relevant
> > minister in Tasmania re:Foxes .
> >
> > They "seem" to be taking it seriously.
> > We'll have to keep on it I suspect.
> >
> > Having spent a month and a couple of
> > other trips in Tassie, I can tell anyone
> > interested that the mammals are fantastic
> > especially both quolls and Eastern Barred
> > Bandicoots.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Bill
> >
> Birding-Aus is on the Web at

> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message
> "unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject line)
m("vicnet.net.au","majordomo");">