birding-aus

Re: Kamikaze kookaburras

To: Mt Glorious Getaways <>
Subject: Re: Kamikaze kookaburras
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:24:52 -0800 (PST)
G'day Sam & Margaret,

I have no idea as to how the large plate glass doors
are sighted on your property but feel they may catch
the early morning sun? if this is the case? then what
you have to do is change the flight path of the
Kookaburra's approach? how easy is this? depends on
many factors.

Could you email me some photo's of the area?

I did some work for BHP Western Port who had the same
problem with Kookaburra's and then later on with
Wattlebirds dive bombing the plate glass windows of
their LARGE Hastings front office.

If you would like? I could post some ideas in the mail
to you? let me know of a mailing address and if you
can read Microsoft Publisher files from a floppy disk?

If keep it in mind, as to how they see the reflection
and how they come to see the imi-intruders then
changing that vision is very simple and this can be
used to advertise how bird friendly your superb
location is? why not have a conference where not only
the course participants laugh eh! hehehe

 :^D>>>>

I've found over many years that the stick on glass
approach does NOT work but moveable flowerpots with
tall plants can often help? or moveable trellis work
with vines growing fruit perhaps the choices are
endless.

Anyway, let me have your mailing address and I'll send
you quite a lot on deflecting "Kamikaze Kook's" at
very low costs.

Yours Sincerely,
Ceo "Four Crows"
John A. Gamblin,
1/1 Mullet Street,
Hastings, 3915,
Victoria (The premier state)
Mt Glorious Getaways <> wrote:

We are wondering if anyone can suggest some solutions
to kamikaze kookaburras which are hitting our large
plate glass doors. There are number of very friendly
kookaburras here at Mt Glorious in the hills behind
Brisbane and one is convinced very early in the
morning that he/she has a threatening competitor - a
reflection in our large plate glass doors. So far the
only solution we have had is to plaster the doors with
newspaper, but that is rather unsightly to say the
least!!

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards
Sam & Margaret Brown
Mt Glorious Getaway Cottages & Conference  Centre

www.mtgloriousgetaways.com.au
Tel: + 61 7 3289 0172
Fax: + 61 7 3289 0072