birding-aus

Dubbo/ACT Trip

To: <>
Subject: Dubbo/ACT Trip
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:39:19 +1100
Hi all

Firstly , thanks to all those who provided information as to where to find birds and good spots to go on my recent trip. I personally find this a good aspect of birding-aus, not just for twitchers but for general information on some nice birding spots when you are away from home. It can often save a lot of time looking in areas where there are not many birds.

After recent reports of Ruff and Pectoral Sandpiper on Ash Island , we started our trip last Saturday, 9th March by a quick visit to Ash Island, Newcastle. Although not finding either of these birds there were plenty of nice birds around to get the trip off to a good start, the best of which were 3 Yellow Wagtails together on "Wagtail Way". Other nice birds included:

Sharp tailed Sandpipers - hundreds
Black winged Stilts
Marsh Sandpipers
Greenshank
Eastern Curlew
Black fronted and Red kneed Dotterels
Pacific Golden Plover
White fronted Chats
Red necked Avocets
Golden headed Cisticola

We headed from here to Mudgee, stopping at Munghorn Gap on the way. Although it was 5 P.M. there were very few birds around despite it looking like an excellent birding spot. Birds sighted included:

Superb Lyrebird
Grey Shrikethrush
Striated Thornbill
Eastern Spinebill
White throated Treecreeper
Pied Currawong
Noisy Friarbird

A bit further down the road was the first of several Brown Treecreepers seen for the trip. Overnight in Mudgee and an early morning walk in Avisford Nature Reserve on the southern outskirts of the town put us off to a good start. A great spot for bush birds.

Red browed Finch
Double barred Finch
Grey Fantail
Rufous Whistler
King Parrot
Crimson Rosella
Spotted Pardalote
Yellow Robin
Yellow tufted Honeyeater
White eared     "
Yellow faced    "
Mistletoebird
Speckled Warbler
Yellow Thornbill
Grey Goshawk
Wedge tailed Eagle

Nest leg , Mudgee to Dubbo and on the way saw

Little Corella
Blue faced Honeyeater
Brown Quail

A morning visit to the zoo was good and added White browed babblers ( new bird for me ), Apostle birds,
Australasian Shovelers , Eurasian Coots, Spiny cheeked Honeyeaters, Peaceful Dove, Yellow throated Miners, Whistling and Black Kites, Clamorous Reed Warbler.

On to Forbes and an afternoon visit to Blue Gum Swamp just out of Forbes on the West Wyalong road.
Several Pink eared Ducks and 3 male and 2 female Blue billed Ducks, and several Hoary headed Grebe were the highlights here. No sign of any Freckled Ducks. Also White bellied Sea-Eagle, White breasted Woodswallow and one solitary Cockatiel

Early morning we spent 4 hours in Back Yamma State Forrest North east of Forbes. We were searching for Gilberts Whistler and Turquoise Parrots in particular, neither of which we found but there were many bush birds to keep us occupied.

Common Bronzewing
Fan tailed Cuckoo
Dusky Woodswallow
Striated Pardalote
Varied Sittella
Hooded Robin   1 pair
Red capped Robins   about 10
Crested Shriketit
Striped Honeyeater  feeding on the ground in a bare paddock with some Red rumped Parrots
Grey Crowned and White browed Babblers ( no rings visible for Paul McDonald )
White winged Choughs
Rufous Whistlers ( also no rings, Paul )
Diamond Firetails
Southern Whiteface
Rainbow Bee-eater
Painted Button Quail ( second and last new bird for the trip )

Whilst trying to film the first of the Red capped Robins seen, Lynn said to me what is that behind you looks like a Quail   and sure enough it was the Painted and I got a really good view of it as it moved its way off along the floor of the forrest which was fairly open and easy to get views of it as it moved away.

Finally in the Lucerne paddock beside the eastern boundary were some Stubble Quail.

Next stop was Weddin Mountains National Park near Grenfell. We were here in the heat of the afternoon so very few birds around. Added Inland Thornbill to the list. After overnight in Cowra we visited the Japanese Gardens and then continued on to Canberra. Alas no Superbs were seen.

An early morning walk at Campbell Park was fairly unproductive. Lots and lots of Kangaroos. In the afternoon we visited some people at Michelago on the way to Cooma. I was very envious of their garden birds which included a pair of Hooded Robins, several Diamond Firetails, Southern Whiteface, Restless Flycatcher, Dusky Woodswallow, yellow rumped Thornbills and several Red rumped Parrots.

Next day we went to Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, south west of Canberra. Walked the "Lyrebird Trail".
Added Satin Bowerbird , Wonga Pigeon, Brown Thornbill, Red browed Treecreeper, Rose Robin and a male Golden Whistler devouring an enormous Caterpillar. Our final day staying with friends in Forrest was highlighted by up to 7 Gang Gang Cockatoos in and around their garden. If only I could bring some home as these must be my favourite Cockatoo. Several Sulphur cresteds around as well.

We had a quick stop at Rose Lagoon  ( Edmundson VC Rest ) on the way home. Thanks to all who provided information on how to find this place. Not much water there and very few birds. No Bittern, but we were only there about 10 minutes and there are lots and lots of reeds it could have been hiding in.

Both varieties of Spoonbill, White necked and White faced Heron and Masked Lapwing, and Great Egret were the only birds present.

Overall around 150 species seen for the week with 2 new birds.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW