birding-aus

Friarbird

To: <>
Subject: Friarbird
From: "Van Gasse" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:17:49 +0100
Hi Eva,

No, the birds on Lombok are just another subspecies of Helmeted Friarbird, and called Philemon buceroides neglectus. And it is not just confined to Lombok, but also occurs on Sumbawa, Komodo, Rinca, Flores, Besar, Sumba, Lomblen, Pantar and Alor. There is slight variation in size among the various island groups, but not worthy of further subdivision.

Its main distinction, as compared to the nominate race, is that it is darker of colour. Its voice also seems to differ somewhat.

Paul Van Gasse
Kruibeke, Belgium