birding-aus

(BIRDING-AUS) Tasmanian Foxes

To: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: (BIRDING-AUS) Tasmanian Foxes
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:48:36 +1100
> On the other hand, proper use of 1080 baits might be the only thing that
> deals with this problem decisively.  Foxoff baits are designed to attract
> foxes, and if correctly used there should be a low incidence of non-target
> impacts.  At this point, all sorts of people are jumping up and down about
> butchering Tasmanian Devils.  However, the risk of a small number of
> non-target kills pales into insignificance compared to the risk posed by
the
> establishment of foxes on the Island.

Scott - I have no argument with you about the seriousness of this matter,
but the fact remains that the Spot-tailed Quolls is a threatened species
which is just as attracted to Foxoff as Foxes are (from my understanding of
current evidence from East Gippsland in Victoria).  My inclusion of devils
was speculative, but as carrion eaters I'm quite sure they could use their
noses to great effect as well.

A dreadful Catch-22 - but I think Spot-tailed Quolls in particular would be
heavily impacted by Foxoff use in Tasmania.

> Fox shooting does not in itself offer a realistic, reliable alternative,
> particularly if undertaken by persons who are not extremely good at this
> sort of thing.  All that will happen is that the foxes will become
gun-shy,
> and a method which might have some limited uses will be lost.  This whole
> thing must be handled by people who have extensive experience in
successful
> fox control.

Fox shooting by spotlight or by calling them in to a single shooter will
never eradicate them in Tasmania - you're quite right there.  The fox drives
that used to be conducted on a regional basis down here are much more
effective in a localised area though.  A number of drivers or beaters drive
foxes (and various other animals of course) towards a line of shooters with
shotguns.  It's very effective for localised fox eradication, and somewhat
safer for shooters than solid rifle projectiles flying around.

> If the foxes are successfully eliminated, we need to implement strict
> procedures to reduce the chance that this could happen again.

Indeed.

L.

L A W R I E   C O N O L E
2/37 Myrnong Crescent, Ascot Vale, Victoria 3032 AUSTRALIA.
Phone AH (03) 9370 3928; Mobile (0419) 588 993.
E-mail:

Senior Zoologist
Ecology Australia Pty Ltd
88 B Station Street, Fairfield, Victoria 3078 AUSTRALIA
Phone BH (03) 9489 4191
E-mail: