birding-aus

Singapore .. again

To: "Claire Stevenson" <>, <>
Subject: Singapore .. again
From: "Simon Blanchflower" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:56:11 +1100
Claire and others interested....I lived in Singapore for a year and my favorite spots were:

1) Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (Off Bukit Timah Rd) http://www.nparks.gov.sg/parks/n_a/par-n_a-bt_tim_nat_res.shtml- the largest tract of forest left on Singapore Is. (you can easily walk 10ks in prime jungle habitat - first thing in the morning and migration seasons are best). They've got a really good bookshop hear too.

2) Sungei Buloh Nature Reserve http://www.sbnp.org/ which is a government funded wetlands project (saltwater) in the north west of the Is. you can get a bus there but taxi is easier and very reasonable. Theres a visitors center, and all kinds of stuff focused on education.

3) Pulau Ubin http://www.nparks.gov.sg/parks/n_a/par-n_a-pul_ubi.shtml which is an Island just off Singapore - you can catch a ferry (a bit dodgey so be warned) from the Changi Ferry Terminal on the north east of Singapore Is. and full exploration of this Is is well worth while + its an interesting contrast to Singapore Is. (i.e. "Raw" Asia) - there's an outdoor "cafe" which does the best Chilli Crab I have ever had not far from the Ferry terminal on the Is.

Also for people with little time the Botanical Gardens aren't too bad although time of day/ season should be kept in mind).

The links should give you the transportation options - or the tourist officies over there are really helpful.

Have fun!

Simon.