birding-aus

Early warning

To: "Terry Pacey" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Early warning
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 05:57:14 +1100
Terry.
         went to Hope Island today after droping people at Brissie airport,
hopeful of my first ever sighting of Painted Snipe.Arrived around 1100
searched around the perimeter and finished up on the eastern bank.Got fairly
excited at the sight of 3 snipe-like birds flying away from us and droping
into long grass. After a wait 2 Latham's Snipe emerged and flew-off. Saw 9
Glossy Ibis and a pair of Royal Spoonbill but no Painted Snipe so went off
for lunch.
           Returned an hour later prepared to put in a long arvo in the sun.
Had been there about 10 mins when a young birder (Mark) and his girlfriend
also came along the roadside. They stopped ,scanned , and were soon joined
by Maria who a minute later let out an excited yell.We hot -footed it the
50m to their spot to find 2 Painted Snipe walking along the water's edge
amongst the reeds and grass. Got good views through the scope for about 10
mins. as both alternated between walking the edge and successfully
disappearing by sitting down in the long grass. Last views were of the two
leaving the reed area and heading into long, dry, grass flushing yet another
Latham's Snipe as they went.
          I'm pretty sure we were looking at 2 adult males.Readers will be
pleased to hear that all birders we saw there today( 10 in all) were all
well behaved and made no attempts to encroach upon the actual wetland area
itself.

       Thanks Terry for your posting .The first time for a long while I've
scored on a first attempt with a new bird.Even my non-birding brother-in-law
thought the sighting and excitment was tops!!

              Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ