birding-aus

Occassional Cairns News - December 2001

To: <>
Subject: Occassional Cairns News - December 2001
From: "Keith & Lindsay Fisher" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:08:16 +1000
Hi Everyone,
Just back from a highly successful Australian Ornithological Conference in
Bathurst, well I got back but my vehicle did not but that's another story!
It is hot and horrid here at the moment with an overnight temp. of 28°C and
90%+ humidity, however a passing shower has just cooled it down a fraction.

A quick visit to the Cairns Esplanade revealed plenty of waders, Great Knot
and Curlew Sandpiper had the greatest numbers present followed by Red-necked
Stint, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Grey-tailed Tattler, Bar-tailed and
Black-tailed Godwits, Eastern Curlew, Whimbrel, Terek Sandpiper, a few Red
Knot, Red-capped Plover, Greenshank, Pacific Golden Plover, 2 Broad-billed
Sandpiper and 1 Grey Plover. Still Australian White Ibis around with Royal
Spoonbill, 100's of Silver Gulls, Gull-billed Tern and 2 Little Tern. There
are moves afoot to place interpretive signs for 15 species of birds
occurring on the Esplanade to be erected along the foreshore which is
another positive sign (pun intended!). I'll post any further developments on
this project if it eventuates.

An unconfirmed report of a Collared Imperial Pigeon (PNG species) reported
earlier in the week on Fitzroy Island (16° 55' 48"  145° 00' 11"), a 45 min
ferry ride out of Cairns, needs to be checked out. Unfortunately we cannot
make it until Sunday but will have a look around and I guess you will hear
if we find it! This is the same species reported on 28/1/2001 on Fantome
Island
further south off the coast of Ingham, this sighting was unable to be
confirmed despite 9 of us checking it out.

I got a surprise yesterday morning whilst travelling past the Cairns
Cemetery  (famous for lots of Bush Stone-curlews) on James Street when a big
green parrot flew across the road in front of me. I stopped and upon
investigation spotted a male Eclectus Parrot ( PNG species & Cape York
endemic) feeding in a Callistemon bush! I have subsequently found out that a
pair were stolen/let loose/escaped from Edmonton south of Cairns last
Friday. Apparently the female was also spotted but close to the aviary where
they came from.
Amazing what you see unexpectedly.

Cheers
Keith & Lindsay Fisher

PO Box 2209 Cairns, (16°55' 40"S 145° 46' 35"E)
Far North Queensland 4870 Australia
Email

Email