birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant Victoria.

To: "Birding- aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant Victoria.
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:48:38 +1100
Today was just a magic day down at the Treatment Plant.
 DO NOT TAKE LOCKS.
When we arrived at the gate from Lake Borrie to go out onto Beach road,
there were two 'G" locks on the gate( we only have a key for G2 locks).  I
was able to phone the Ranger who came and let us out, he explained that the
'G2" locks had been stolen, new ones have been ordered and will be welded to
the gate.  I do hope 'birders' did not steal the locks!
 Back to our visit, it could have been called Raptor Day, there were lots of
Black-shouldered Kite, numerous Swamp Harriers, plenty of Whistling Kite,
Brown Falcons, a Sea Eagle and even a Little Eagle.
Ducks were also plentiful, Pink-eared, & shovelers were still surfing in the
Outfall Channel, Blue-billed and Musk Duck on the ponds to the East of the
Conservation Ponds. Pacific Black with little ones in tow, Shelduck and
Freckled Duck too, (I can now spot Freckled Duck at 20 paces!)
Waders in the thousands, Curlew, Marsh and Sharp-tailed Sandpipers,
Red-necked stints  and Green-shanks.  The hide at the mouth of the Little
River is almost complete, from there we could see Oyster-catchers,
cormorants, gulls, terns and pelicans.
All the little birds were out too, Calamanthus, wrens, Cisticola, goldfinch,
pipits, reed warblers and Little Grassbirds.
Royal and Yellow Spoonbills and Egrets were all standing on 1 leg, Banded
stilts were beside the Avocet with the Black winged stilts not far away.
Another great day  birding.
Shirley Cameron