birding-aus

Aurora Australis

Subject: Aurora Australis
From: "Ken Grinter" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 00:25:15 +1030
I have just returned from a nocturnal tour where we saw the usual Little Penguins, even though it is drawing towards the end of the penguin breeding season here there are still a few chicks around, some only three to four weeks old. Also managed to spot one Barn Owl perched on a large sugar gum with a Boobook calling not far away.

I saw Peter Waanders comments on the Southern lights so I thought I would pass on my observations that I sent out originally on Sunday morning.
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 11:18 AM

Hi Everybody

Last night was a night to remember.
Rhys and Jenny and I saw the best Aurora we have ever seen in our lives. The intensity varied over more than an hour from
10-30 onwards. At times there was an extremely pink glow in the sky extending horizontally over about 90 degrees and extending a long way up into the sky. The clouds low in the South were backlit as if by the first light of dawn and there were rays of light extending high into the sky. The rays of light and the pink glow were changing intensity and position as one watched a wonderful display.

There has been I gather a good deal of Aurora activity in the last few weeks due to some very intense solar flares.
If anybody can get away from bright lights on a clear night and look towards the South in Southern parts of the continent it is worth having a look to see if the light show is on. The moon is waxing at the moment so every night that progresses it will become harder to see any Aurora for the next few days.

Cheers
Ken
Experience Kangaroo Island at night
Alkirna Nocturnal Tours