birding-aus

Falcon

To: "Anthony Katon" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Falcon
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:03:11 +1100
Yes. I suspect many of us have "seen a similar event". I have. Although in an observation like that, it isn't necessarily what happened as there were obviously several birds and maybe it would be hard to pick which was the one making the noise. This sort of thing occurs all the time, of course but we are not generally around when it does. If Peregrine Falcons do not actually kill their prey by impact on capture, then it is said that they do not kill with their feet, as they don't have a squeeze reflex (as hawks do) but carry it off to somewhere (or follow a struck bird down to the ground) and kill it with their beak (whilst holding it in their feet). Hence a bird can still be alive and squawking (starlings and mynas certainly do).

Philip