birding-aus

New field guide leads to Chinese birding puzzles

Subject: New field guide leads to Chinese birding puzzles
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:51:26 +1000

G'day all

I received the new MacKinnon Field Guide to Birds of China recently
[compensation for turning 44].

In 1998 I visited far north west China and saw some great birds.  I've changed
my opinions on a couple based on the new field guide.  At the time I had an old
one with few illustrations.  So the Black Kites I saw everywhere were
Black-eared Kites and the single Peregrine Falcon that screamed overhead was a
Barbary Falcon.  I'm still trying to sort out the Shrikes but the one that is
outstanding is the Caspian Tern at Bosten Lake (south of Urumqi).  An
unmistakable bird and one that I've seen many times in Oz.  The trouble is that
it was a zillion km from the distribution given in the new guide.

Do any of you have thoughts on this record?

Cheers

Steve

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria, 3300