birding-aus

Channel-billed Cuckoos

To: <>
Subject: Channel-billed Cuckoos
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:36:15 +0800
I was also very surprised at Peter Adderly's comments, but thought that
they were just poor humour after a late night ...

Maybe it is because I don't see them very often, but Channel-billed
Cuckoos are fascinating birds to observe and hear.  Certainly a highlight
every time I have seen them.

It is a bit unfair on currawongs, but I would much rather see a CBC than a
PC.  From what I have read, Pied Currawongs have led to a decline in the
number of small birds in some areas (e.g. Sydney) where they are now
present all year rather than just part of the year.

Why do some people object to nature?  Cuckoos and raptors seem to get a
very bad rap from some people.  I know of someone who rescued a turtle-
dove from a Collared Sparrowhawk!