birding-aus

Bush Stone-curlews in western NSW

Subject: Bush Stone-curlews in western NSW
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:52:06 +1000

David Geerings posting reminds me of a poor old Bust Stone-curlew that has lived on his/her own on Albert Park Golf Course at Wagga Wagga for at least the past 10 years.  Its call is often heard on the golf course and I have had the pleasure of it walking to within a few feet of me while I have been playing golf.  The golf pro at the course told me its mate was hit and killed by a school kid wielding a stick about a decade ago.

Its mournful cries to others of its species has never received a response.  Wouldn't it be nice to fill the void with a few spares from say the Cairns Cemetery where there is usually in the vicinity of 40 to 50 birds resting among the tombstones waiting for a birdo to come and disturb them.

Jeff

Jeff Hardy
Co-ordinator Wildlife Licensing
Biodiversity Management Unit
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service
PO Box 1967
Hurstville   NSW  2220   Australia

Phone:   61 2 9585 6481
Mobile:   0419 211 083
Fax:        61 2 9585 6401
Email:

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.