birding-aus

re: Bustards in south-west Victoria

To: "Andrew Taylor" <>, <>
Subject: re: Bustards in south-west Victoria
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:52:42 +1000
Andrew-

One cannot draw the inference that because there were few bird remains in
fox scats, that foxes are not significant predators of birds. If the 4
remains cited all happened to be of something rare, such as a Night Parrot,
then predation at this low level might be highly significant. Further, scats
give only a partial indication of diet.  Foxes are generally very partial to
eggs, yet egg remains will not show up in scats.  For ground nesting birds,
foxes could have a significant impact by eating eggs only (something which
is entirely possible)and a scat analysis would give no indication of this.
The research you quote, and a great body of other research as well,
indicates that foxes switch prey readily.  This means that the results of
fox diet investigations on one occasion or in one location cannot be used to
reliably predict what foxes will eat at other times, or under other
conditions.  I think that until we have a lot more information, we would be
foolish to be too complacent about the predatory impacts of foxes.

Scott O'Keeffe