birding-aus

Bustards in south-west Victoria

Subject: Bustards in south-west Victoria
From: Steve <>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 21:31:12 +1000
G'day all

I've just learned that a flock of 6 bustards have been camped in a
paddock north of Hamilton for the last couple of weeks.  They departed
today but left behind one that had possibly flown into powerlines or a
fence and has some damage to its hip.  My neighbour runs a wildlife
shelter and the bird (we think male) is resting in a cardboard box
overnight and will probably go to the Serendip Sanctuary near Melbourne
tomorrow.

I haven't seen these birds (except the injured one) but I'm told an
atlas sheet has been filled in.  Hopefully they will turn up and I'll
get a chance to see them.

Bustards were originally quite common on the plains west of Melbourne
but are rarely seen in Victoria these days.  The closest to Hamilton
that I am aware of is in the northen Little Desert.

Cheers

Steve Clark
Hamilton