birding-aus

Bustards in south-west Victoria

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bustards in south-west Victoria
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 22:49:21 +1000
g'day all,

Steve Clark wrote in part ...

"I've just learned that a flock of 6 bustards have been camped in a
paddock north of Hamilton for the last couple of weeks.  They departed
today but left behind one that had possibly flown into powerlines or a
fence and has some damage to its hip."

A bustard also was killed a by flying into power lines about 600 meters from the Mount Isa sewage ponds about 2 weeks ago.

The sewage ponds coordinator told me that the same lines were respaced where they went over the ponds some years ago.

By coincidence, 2 days ago a Night-heron died when its throat got tangled in a strand of a barb wire fence immediately outside the ponds.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.