birding-aus

Feathers and the LAW ......

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Feathers and the LAW ......
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:38:47 -0700 (PDT)
G'day All,

I read a few emails back about the Australian state
border issue and that of feather collecting?

Could I run a hypothetical past someone that would
know
from this list? is the main reason behind the feather
issue that of feather mites? if not then here's the
hypothetical?

Little Johnny F. is a very athletic young chappie and
lives in his family home a few metres from a state
border. He's loves to run nearly everywhere he goes.
He also has a growing passion about birds. One day he
see's a Blue-Winged Kookaburra flying directly along
the man made state borderline. As Kevin the blue
winged Kookaburra flies along the border he drops one
of his wing feathers. It's going to land exactly!
would you believe it? on the border ;^D ..... Little
Johnny sprints to catch it .... due to his speed and
human breaking system he catches the feather but finds
himself over the border? if he comes back to his home
state is he breaking the LAW?

Have a wonderful day everyone it's easing in the
rainfall dept. down here today, so I'm off to check
and play with my pelicans.

Have a wonderful day everyone. You know I just can't
understand why Micheal Norris of this list has the
passion he has about bats? definately none in his
place of origin :^D ..... so where does it come from
:^D

John A. Gamblin
Lawrie Conole <> wrote:

There are issues of feather collecting which continue
to be a problem in the present, as well as the well
known sins of the past (aigrette, etc.). Certain fly
fishing lures require particular, often scarce, bird
feathers for their manufacture. Certain species of
cotinga from South America have this as a significant
endangering process now, and the value of the highly
modified purplish back feathers from one species
demand enormous prices. I don't know whether any
Australian species feature in the fly tying caper, but
it's an example of an ongoing reason to regulate the
collecting of feathers.

I still have the odd feather tucked in my hatband from
time to time. They are such lovely things.
Live dangerously ........
L A W R I E   C O N O L E
2/37 Myrnong Crescent, Ascot Vale, Victoria 3032
AUSTRALIA.
Phone AH (03) 9370 3928; BH (03) 9510 5750; Mobile
(0419) 588 993.
E-mail:  <>
Web page:  http://www.bluep.com/~oco/