birding-aus

Re: Home Bird lists

To: "Steve Popple" <>
Subject: Re: Home Bird lists
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 10:06:13 +1000
Hi Steve -

At 08:27 PM 4/06/01 +0930, you wrote:
>I know its my list and I can make any "rules" I like but I'm interested in
>what other people do.

I don't keep a home list at the moment (it would be fairly short anyway,
and with a high proportion of introduced species) but when growing up in
Sabah my family kept a home list of everything seen (or heard) in, above
and from the house and garden.  Since one side of the garden was the high
tide mark of a beach, the list included various terns and occasional waders
seen over the sea or on the beach.  I can't remember the numbers, but it
built to quite an impressive list over the years - with frigatebirds
appearing sometimes with stormy weather as well as the odd vagrant warbler.

We also keep a list, using the same criteria, for the Birds Australia
National Office in Hawthorn, Melbourne.  After nearly seven years at the
current address the list has 42 species on it but is now growing only very
slowly.  In 2000 two new species were recorded - Noisy Miner and Collared
Sparrowhawk.  In 2001 we have had one new species so far - Yellow-tailed
Black-Cockatoo.  In a little over eight years at our previous address in
address in Moonee Ponds we scored exactly 50 wild species plus Canary,
Chicken, Cockatiel (white), Budgerigar (blue), Peach-faced Lovebird and
Collared Dove.

Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>

Are you a member of Birds Australia?  If not, why not join us?