birding-aus

Search for Grey Falcon...fails!!

To: <>, <>
Subject: Search for Grey Falcon...fails!!
From: jilldening <>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 14:30:31 +1000
   2/6/01 11:57 AM

What was interesting though was the sighting of at least 10 Double-banded
Plovers (probably lots more) feeding in grassy flooded paddocks on the west side
of Kow Swamp, amongst large numbers of Black Swan, Australian Shelduck and
Masked Lapwing.

Chris I found this interesting. I only see sandplovers in intertidal habitat in Caloundra, SEQ,, but I have seen them use dry, grassy airstrips at Lord Howe and Lady Elliott Islands. And I really understand what you mean about "probably lots more". Last Thursday, no matter how many times we counted the Double-bands and Red-capped Plovers, we got a different number. And we had the birds straight in front of us, with no vegetation cover - just a million sand gutters. Thanks for sharing that. The trouble with revisiting one area , as we do, is that you can get locked into a restricted mindset.

Cheers,

Jill