birding-aus

Re: Ecuador pipeline

To: "Max O'Sullivan" <>,
Subject: Re: Ecuador pipeline
From: Mark Ziembicki <>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 13:43:45 +0900
Max,
I had the good fortune of doing some work in the Mindo Valley on Pionus
parrots a couple of years back.  This is a truly beautiful part of the
world and a birdwatchers paradise. Over 450 species have been recorded
in the ONE valley including such gems as Andean Cock-of-the-Rocks,
quetzals, etc. This particular area is of particular conservation
concern given rapid deforestation of the eastern slopes of the
Andes...an already restricted and threatened ecosystem. I've been
somewhat out of touch with the situation in Mindo of late but would be
grateful for any further information you could pass on.

Many thanks,
mark

Mark Ziembicki
Dept. of Environmental Biology