birding-aus

Re: Ecuador pipeline

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: Ecuador pipeline
From: "Max O'Sullivan" <>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:08:26 +1000
The following may be of interest to the group. It seems the pipline will go through the sensitive Cloud Forests of Mindo in northern Ecuador despite worldwide appeals!

Dear Mr. O'Sullivan:

Thank you for your letter of January 2001 with respect to the Oleoducto de
Crudos Pesados (OCP) Pipeline Project in Ecuador.

I want to affirm to you that Occidental Petroleum Corporation is committed
to environmental preservation, and, as shareholder of the OCP consortium, we
have insisted on the highest standards for the preparation of the
Environmental Impact Study for the OCP Pipeline Project.  OCP has consulted
with a number of environmental organizations, other local stakeholder groups
and the Government of Ecuador to better understand and address concerns
regarding the environmental impact of the project.

The proposed northern routing was selected only after extensive
environmental and technical review and comparison with other proposed
routes.  The environmental impact study presently being completed includes
an evaluation of physical, biotic, archaeological, socioeconomic, technical
and safety criteria for both the northern and southern routes.  Based on
these criteria, the conclusion of the route analysis indicates that the
northern route is the best choice, both technically and environmentally. All
phases of construction will be subject to the highest standards of
environmental mitigation techniques, including state of the art engineering
design and construction methods, reclamation, monitoring and contingency
planning.

We have received correspondence from numerous groups and individual
suggesting that the southern route is the preferable route because of
environmental considerations.  This conclusion is more than a little
puzzling because, to our knowledge, no extensive environmental evaluations
of the southern route had ever been undertaken other than the environmental
review commissioned by OCP Ltd.  As a result, some of the advantages that
have been attributed to the southern route may, in fact, not have been
thoroughly reviewed from both a technical and environmental perspective.
The northern route was selected by OCP Ltd. and approved by the Ecuadorian
government, as the preferred option, after taking into consideration all
environmental and related issues.

In conclusion, we would like to emphasize again, that as shareholder of OCP
Ltd. consortium, Occidental is committed to ensuring that the OCP Pipeline
Project meets the highest standards of environmental compliance.

I appreciate your comments and concern about the OCP Pipeline Project.  With
the application of state-of-the-art technology and adherence to strict
environmental guidelines, this project will leave the smallest possible
footprint on the surrounding environment.  Should you have additional
questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Lawrence P. Meriage, Ph.D.
Vice President
Communications & Public Affairs