birding-aus

Brisbane Forest Park

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Brisbane Forest Park
From: Jeff Crocombe <>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 12:29:49 +1000
On Saturday, my wife & I spent a few very pleasant hours in the Brisbane
Forest Park (NW outskirts of Brisbane). We visited the Visitors centre
where I picked up a birdlist- there wasn't any on display, but the
ranger on desk duty was helpful & found me one easily.

We did two short walks altogether- the first was the 1.1km Egernia
Circuit which leaves from near the William Jolly Lookout. The terrain is
varied: beginning & ending in Eucalypt Woodland, & passing through a
rainforest area & some large patches of Lantana. The small rainforest
patch based around a creekbed was quite productive, yielding:
Yellow-throated Scrubwren
Brown Gerygone
Pale-yellow Robin
Eastern Whipbird
The Lantana patches produced:
Grey Fantail
Rufous Fantail
Lewins Honeyeater
Eastern Yellow Robin
Large-billed Scrubwren

Lunch at the William Jolly Lookout provided:
Superb Fairy-wren
Kookaburra
Pheasant Coucal
Pied Currawong

We then drove further along to the Boombana area where we walked the
1.5km Rainforest Track. Again the track began in Eucalypt Woodland
before changing into Rainforest. New additions to the list included:
Logrunner
King Parrot
White-browed Scrubwren
Noisy Pitta
Golden Whistler.

While not a huge list (we certainly didn't try very hard), it was a very
relaxing & pleasant day. The scenery while driving was spectacular & a
number of the birds were new. The highlight for me was the two Noisy
Pittas seen at Boombana- a first. They are truly spectacular birds & we
got excellent views of them just off the track. Highly recommended for a
pleasant day out.

Jeff Crocombe