birding-aus

Eastern Grass Owl ?

To: <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Eastern Grass Owl ?
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:18:28 +1000
Hello Anthony

Many thanks for your comments.

I got quite a few replies, but I've been holding off from reporting back to
birding-aus until I had something positive to say.

The trouble was, that I was assuming Black-fronted Dotterel because I just
couldn't place the call as anything else. But I knew it wasn't exactly and
indisputably right, and it really did seem to come directly from the larger
bird. However I just couldn't connect that bird with the call anywhere in my
birding experience.

Various suggestions came in, all much appreciated and all quite plausible,
but none of them really fitted as a possibility. Until you mentioned Grass
Owl.
There are Grass Owls in the Lockyer - rarely seen, though a friend of mine
had one on his property just a few months back. Our immediate environment
could well be conducive - some agriculture, lucerne and the like, lots of
lightly wooded grassland, and a substantial creek with fairly good riparian
vegetation immediately adjacent to the verandah from which the bird(s) were
seen and heard.

I played the BOC tape of the Grass Owl (34 secs by David Stewart) and it
struck me as being spot on. Then I played it to Eileen, a totally blind
'tasting', just the chirping segment - I hadn't even mentioned your email.
She reacted immediately with "That's the bird we've been hearing!"

So, last night we sat and waited for the bird to re-appear. We didn't see
it, but we did hear the chirping again overhead, followed a little later as
it moved west from us by a screech and a more distant  'clocking'. This was
around 9pm, and repeated on and off over the next 30 minutes. Everything we
heard matched the tapes.

I am comfortable now to exclude Black-fronted Dotterel from the performance.
As I indicated in my original note about this mysterious visitor, I was
clutching at straws when I half-heartedly called dotterel, because I knew I
didn't know. We had dotterels here when the creek was very low, before the
rains a couple of months ago, but the creek is well up and we haven't had
them on the list for a couple of months now.

I won't add Eastern Grass Owl to the Abberton list on this little evidence,
but we'll follow up carefully and report back.

I was planning to reply individually to everyone who was kind enough to
share their ideas, but now I'm writing this, please would everyone who
emailed me on this please accept my appreciative thanks for taking the
trouble.
Here is just one of the many strengths of birding-aus.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056