birding-aus

Flying Foxes

To: <>, <>
Subject: Flying Foxes
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:21:22 +1000
Michael-

This has worked in NQ, where sacrificial crops of peanuts have been used as
a successful alternative to "culling" Black Cockatoos.  The aspect of this
which is of importance from the conservationist's viewpoint, is that the
problem was treated as a community problem, rather than just a problem of
agriculturalists.  A typical reaction (and I have been guilty of it myself)
when one hears of wildlife being killed, is to say "bugger the farmers,
they'll just have to stop, and wear the damage to their crops".
Unfortunately that approach doesn't help- the good guys bad guys view serves
only to paint agriculturalists into a corner and their efforts are then
wasted on justifying themselves and calling "greenies" names.  It doesn't
help conservationists either.  When nothing happens, we become even more
strident in our demands, and we may also end up calling names.  It is not a
panacea, but the best attempts at solutions will be cooperative
partnerships, with all interested or involved parties taking some
responsibility for whatever may need to be done.  In the case of the
sacrificial crops, I believe the community groups interested in conservation
agreed to lease the land on which the sacrificial crop was planted.  The
whole thing had to be arranged through discussion and negotiation.  A
departure from the usual name-calling.  A community approach is appropriate,
because these problems are community problems.  The farmer may grow the
crop, but the farmer is contracted by the consumer to do so.  In that sense,
if wildlife as adversely affected by cropping, one could argue that the
consumer is morally responsible, and is really only getting the farmer to do
the dirty work.  I'm sure the answer to the flying fox problem must lie
somewhere in cooperative community effort.  It won't be easy though.

Scott O'Keeffe