birding-aus

flying foxes

To: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>, "Jo Wieneke" <>, <>
Subject: flying foxes
From: "The Watkins Family" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:34:58 +1000
Here in Yeppoon, on the coast in Central Queensland near Rockhampton, we have large colony of flying foxes in the mangroves of Fig Tree Creek and Ross Creek, close to the centre of town. Much discussion and many differing opinions are being thrown around.  However, the spectacle at  dusk is just phenomenal as they all arise from the mangroves and spread out across the sky.

Apparently fruit growers are apparently also considering using the electrocution method to deter "the scouts"  (the bats who find the food sources) from finding their crops.

As one of those "greenie" types , I always think there must be other ways of deterring the damage done to crops by other means. Something less confrontational, less man against nature!!!!

 Destruction of the local flowering tree species (ironbarks, bloodwoods) and other fruiting species)  to provide land to grow these fruit crops must have impacted on what food sources there are available for the flying foxes. (That old tree clearing issue)   Surrounding fruit growing properties with vegetation that provides the flying foxes natural food sources must be, at the very least  a preferable alternative.   Also providing a wonderful habitat for birds that would help control other crop pests.

I also think, just as graziers have to include the cost of fences to contain their stock (discussion of cloven hooved produce is another story!), fruit growers should include the cost of nets as part of property infrastructure and an expected cost to protect their product.  Despite the previous messages discussing the bird kills from nets (which was highly informative) I still think a less drastic method than live wires!

My two bobs worth!!!

Kathy Watkins