birding-aus

Magpie destroyed

To: "Frank O'Connor" <>, <>
Subject: Magpie destroyed
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 14:49:25 +1000
Frank-

I'm glad to hear a voice of reason.  The lorikeet problem demonstrates the
cute and cuddly syndrome nicely.  Rarely does one hear of an objection to
killing 'ugly' animals such as cane toads, but lay a hand on a Lorikeet
where it isn't native and watch the proverbial fertiliser hit the fan.  This
is causing serious conflict in New Zealand at the moment.... Apparently its
okay to kill something if its ugly, but a no-no if its purdy.

Scott O'Keeffe