birding-aus

Kenyan Forests

To: "" <>
Subject: Kenyan Forests
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 20:00:39 +1000
SAVE OUR FORESTS IN KENYA!

> FORESTS = WATER, ENERGY, SOIL AND HERITAGE
>
> SIGN THE PETITION AGAINST THE PROPOSED FOREST EXCISIONS IN KENYA!
> The Kenyan Government announced its intention on 16 Feb 2001 via
> Government
> Gazette Notices to excise sections of the following Kenyan forest
> reserves:
> Eastern Mau (35,301.01 ha), South Western Mau (22,792.2 ha), Western
Mau > (1,035.7 ha), Nakuru (270.5 ha), Nabkoi (74.1 ha), Mt. Kenya
(1,825.2  ha),  Marmanet (2,837.4 ha), Northern Tinderet (788.3 ha), Mt.
Londiani
(124.9  ha ), South Nandi (34.5 ha), Molo (901.6), Kapsaret (1,194.2
ha).
(The  figures in brackets refer to the number of hectares of forest land

to be  excised.)

> The TOTAL AREA of forest land to be excised is 67,185 ha, equivalent
to  5%  of the entire area of gazetted forests in Kenya.

> KENYA FORESTS WORKING GROUP (KFWG) is a gathering of institutions
and organizations (national, local and international, governmental and
> non-governmental) concerned with Kenyan forests and their
conservation  and  management.
> It is our intention to lodge formal objections to the proposed
forest excisions before the middle of March 2001. We ask for your
support
by signing the petition below.

> SIGN THE KENYA FORESTS WORKING GROUP PETITION HERE NOW!!!
> * Please write down your name, address, and the date and pass this
> petition on to as many friends/colleagues as possible.
> * To keep this petition tidy, please use "copy&paste" to pass this
> petition on, rather than "forward", if at all possible.
> * If you are the 10th person to sign either the "Kenyan citizens and
> residents" list or the "Friends of Kenya abroad" list, kindly e-mail
the  petition back to KFWG at
> * Please note that ALL the e-petitions must be e-mailed back to KFWG
at  before the DEADLINE of 10 March 2001, so that we
may  lodge our objection in time.
> * If you have any queries about the campaign, please contact KFWG at
>  Or c/o East African Wild Life Society, PO Box
20110,  Nairobi 00100, Kenya. Tel: +(254-2) 574145. Fax: +(254-2)570335
> * Thank you for your support!
>
> PLEASE SIGN EITHER THE "Kenyan citizens and residents" LIST OR THE
> "Friends
> of Kenya abroad" LIST BELOW with your NAME, ADDRESS and DATE:
>
> KENYAN CITIZENS AND RESIDENTS:
> *********************************
> Name, address, date:
> 1) Benny Bytebier, NMK, PO Box 40658, Nairobi, 5 March
> 2)
> 3)
> 4)
> 5)
> 6)
> 7)
> 8)
> 9)
> 10)
> 10th signature: please e-mail this petition back to KFWG at:
>

> FRIENDS OF KENYA ABROAD:
>  Name, address, date:
> 1) Els Martens, Linkhoutstraat 209, B - 3560 Lummen, BELGIUM, 5 March
> 2) Renaud Flamant, Olmstraat, 23, B-1040 Brussels, BELGIUM, 7 March
> 3) Gunter De Smet, Edmond Blockstraat 9, B-9050 Gentbrugge, BELGIUM, 7
March
> 4) Tom Tarrant, Lot 10 Watson Rd, Samsonvale, Queensland 4521,
Australia