birding-aus

Backyard birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Backyard birds
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:10:41 +1100
Hello all,

I have just come inside from my garden (it started to rain ) where I have
seen and heard, a remarkable congregation of six male Common Koel Cuckoos
(Eudynamys scolopacea) vying for the attention of one female , this took the
form of crouching with partly extended wings and shrieking as loudly as
possible. After a few minutes of this with no apparent selection of a mate,
the female flew off pursued by all the loudly calling males and several Red
Wattlebirds (Anthochaera carunculata)  and a pair of Little Wattlebirds
(Anthochaera lunulata) who were no doubt hoping to have seen the last of
them .
This is the largest number of Common Koels which I have seen in one courting
group in fact the most I have seen in a similar situation was two males.
Does this indicate an increase in numbers  this year or would it be a once
only event ?

Reg.