birding-aus

Birding at Paynter's Creek, Nambour, October 2000

To: <>
Subject: Birding at Paynter's Creek, Nambour, October 2000
From: "Andrew Taylor" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 10:15:44 +1000
Paynter's Creek is located between Maroochydore and Nambour on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, and probably isn't a well known location for finding great birds. A particular section of Paynter's Creek Road has been frequented by me of late during my morning walks, generally between 6 and 7 am before I have to return to reality and go to work.

The area has a multitude of habitats, and along the particular 3 km stretch that I walk, you could describe it as a mixture of remnant rainforest, woodland, wetland, and banksia scrub.

During October, I encountered many species I have encountered in the past but have also been very lucky to add 4 lifers to my list, which has been growing over the last 20 year since I was a little tyke of 11.

A couple of weeks ago I encountered a mixed flock of around 30 Chestnut-breasted Mannakins and 15 Red-browed Finches very active in some bracken on the roadside. Superb Blue Wrens and Red-backed Fairy-wrens twinkle away there as well. Honeyeaters abound, with an irruption of Scarlet, along with many Brown, Lewin's, and White-cheeked Honeyeaters. A lifer for me yesterday was a pair of beautifully marked Varied Trillers, with very close-up views from 2 -3 metres low in lantana (cursed stuff, but great for our feathered friends) - the buff belly of the male was very distinct; they were very quiet, just going about their business.

From a distance one morning, Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos (4) were screeching from the top of a dead gum. I never get tired of seeing these wonderful birds, and they are regulars in this nick of the woods.

A week or so ago I saw another lifer very briefly from a range of 10 metres, then heard it's distinctive "breeb-breer-breer" call - a Spectacled Monarch! Haven't seen it since unfortunately.

Rufous and Grey Fantails have also been flitting around in the understorey, while White-browed Scrubwrens have also been mousing around.

A very vocal breeding male Golden-headed Cisticola has been advertising it's presence at the same spot every day - very boldly, it has allowed me to come up to a couple of paces from it - great to see it without binocs as it is such a small wonder.

A few days ago I also saw a pair of Sacred Kingfishers perched on a dead gum, and just up the road, another lifer (probably about time, too) - a lone male Forest Kingfisher vocallising before flying off. The bright blue plumage is not truly justified in any field guide - I had no idea how beautiful this bird really is.

Finally, again a few days ago on the 31st October, my 3rd lifer in an hour, a hastily retreating Rose-crowned Fruit-dove. Unfortunately, I only glimpsed it very briefly but enough to see a flash of orange on it's underside and bright green upperparts. Brown Cuckoo-doves are also often seen racing through the forest.

Some more regular birds seen along this stretch are Silvereyes, Eastern Whipbirds, Spangled Drongos, and Dollarbirds.

I wonder what I will encounter here in November?

Anyone wanting more information on the location with directions, please email me direct.

Andrew Taylor
Rosemount, Qld