birding-aus

BIRDING AROUND THE CENTRAL COAST OF NSW - 29TH OCT. 2000

To: <>
Subject: BIRDING AROUND THE CENTRAL COAST OF NSW - 29TH OCT. 2000
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 21:38:28 -0000

Today I birded in a few places around the Central coast (approx. 80 km or one hour north of Sydney’s CBD) with a number of interesting sightings as follows:

CHITTAWAY PT/TUGGERAH BAY - Brown Quails (2); Mangrove Herons; Rufous Night Heron; 2 Banded Stilts (as reported last week by Alan Morris); Eastern Curlews; Greenshanks; Brush, Fan-tailed and Channel-billed Cuckoos; Koels; Pheasant Coucal; Dollarbird; a pair of Black-faced Monarchs and Striped Honeyeaters

TUGGERAH STW - Hardheads (20 plus); Australasian Shovelers (3) and Musk ducks (2)

OURIMBAH AREA - Brush Turkey (1); an excellent view of a male Grey Goshawk flying into and resting in a Eucalypt); several Brown Cuckoo-doves (feeding on Wild Tabacco); a Wonga Pigeon on nest; Brush Cuckoo; Cicadabird; Sacred Kingfishers; a male Rose Robin (posing ready to take a great picture if I had a camera) Large-billed and Yellow-throated Scrubwrens (the later seen nesting); several Rufous Fantails; several Black-faced Monarchs; Scarlet Honeyeaters in abundance; Regent and Satin Bowerbirds; 2 male Superb Lyrebirds in full display (one was displaying in front of me for atleast 5 minutes imitating Green Catbirds, Whipbirds, Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos, Grey Butcherbird, Eastern Rosellas etc).

SOLDIERS PT (NEAR TOUKLEY) -Black-browed Albatross (1), thousands of Short-tailed and Wedge-tailed Shearwaters, hundreds of Fluttering and Hutton’s Shearwaters and a single Buller’s Shearwater; lots of waders on the rocks including Pacific Golden Plovers, Red-necked Stints, Curlew Sandpipers, Whimbrel, Grey-tailed Tattlers, Ruddy Turnstones and a Sooty Oystercatcher and lots of Terns including 200 plus Common Terns and a few Little Terns (both resident and migratory birds).

Here, I also saw 2 Humpback Whales heading north when in theory they should be heading south.

About 130 species were seen/heard for most of the day here in the central coast.

Edwin