birding-aus

Common Starlings "Invasion"

To: <>
Subject: Common Starlings "Invasion"
From: Jack Shapiro <>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:53:53 +0100
Since  last year, I have noticed several Common Starlings appearing in my
neighbourhood (Cremorne/Cammeray, NSW).  Today I observed the first one in
my backyard - a worrying sign !

The backyard is already  visited regularly  by Common Mynas, as well as  by
Noisy miners, Currawongs, Rainbow Lorikeets and the occasional Crested
and/or Spotted Pigeons.

Does anyone know whether the presence of Common Starlings is more of a
threat to native birds than that of the Common Mynas in terms of competition
for nest sites and territorial aggression ?

At present the question is irrelevant to my backyard, which is bare of small
birds, but I am developing a substantial section in the rear section of the
yard , planted with an understorey of prickly shrubs (Hakea, Acacia,
Lomandra) and other flowering shrubs, eg Kunai Ambigua,  various Banksias,
and native Grevilleas, next to taller native trees (Podocarpus Elatus, one
anogophora Costata, and Lillypillies) .  It is  hoped that small birds will
start visiting the garden as the native vegetation develops.

Is there anything that can be done to discourage the new  " invaders" from
visiting the yard, short of shooting them ?

Jack