birding-aus

White-headed Pigeon at Woody Point SE Qld

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: White-headed Pigeon at Woody Point SE Qld
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:08:16 -0700
Hello All,

At approx 8: 00 am 23/10/2000 I observed a White-headed Pigeon in the giant
Camphor Laurel tree in my next-door neighbour's yard.
This is a new bird for my 'backyard' list.
The bird appeared to be a female as per the description in HANZAB but I am
wondering if it may have been a juvenile just coming into adult plumage?
The general appearance of the plumage was that of a female but there seemed to
be a fair amount of 'moult' around the front of the neck.
The bill and legs were coloured as described for an adult.
I have placed an image (taken from video so the quality is only just 'fair') on
my website.
On the home page click on 'Some of My Photos'; on that page select 'Misc Bird
Photos'; then click on the White-headed Pigeon thumbnail...the last image in the
series.
I will endeavour to find better images on the video I took at the time and will
place them on my website as soon as I can.

The bird descended to the ground at one stage, possibly to feed, but something
disturbed it (possibly myself or the dog in the yard 'down the back', not the
same yard the tree is in) and it flew back into the Camphor Laurel tree. I
observed it in that tree for about 30 minutes before it flew away to another
nearby yard.

I have never recorded White-headed Pigeon in my 'backyard' before.
I live in a medium density suburban area with a minimum of older large trees.
There is no rainforest or other substantial areas of other forest types for some
distance.

The Camphor Laurel tree next door may be a pest but it provides me with most of
the birds I see in my area.
Possibly because of its size most birds in my area will perch in it at some
time.
It appears to be the only one within sight of my backyard.

Bob Inglis
Woody point SEQld,
27 deg 15min S; 153 deg 5 min E
E-mail: