birding-aus

Inland birds in the east

Subject: Inland birds in the east
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:19:14 +1100
On 3/10/00, Bill Jolly wrote:

>Thanks to Linda Cross for that timely posting about the Masked and
>White-browed Woodswallows at Palmwoods on 1st October.
>
>It was six years ago to the day, 1st October 1994, that we had Masked and
>White-browed Woodswallows here at Abberton (in the Lockyer Valley, approx
>100 km west of Brisbane.
>
>The very next day we had a Black Honeyeater in the garden!
>
>Back then, it too was a very dry time and of course we were experiencing
>then as now the effect of some cause out west.
>
>It is certainly worth taking a second look at EVERYTHING that moves around
>this time in the south-east of the state - and no doubt likewise in other
>states too.
>
>Bill Jolly
-----

It was the same in NSW. Six years ago in October 1994, Masked Woodswallows
turned up throughout the Blue Mountains and on 28th of that month I saw a
flock of c.100 near Blackheath, and a week later 30 at Kanangra Walls. I
couldn't find any White-browed amongst those flocks but they were reported
by Blue Mountains Bird Observers in the lower Blue Mountains from September
to December of that year.

During that time we also had several sightings of Red-capped Robins in the
upper Blue Mountains which is unusual for this area.

Interestingly a pair of Red-capped Robins has also been seen in Katoomba
during August this year, and about a month ago a Black-chinned Honeyeater
was reported at Wentworth Falls.

Now, just the other day I saw a flock of about 8 woodswallows which I think
were probably White-browed, flying very high over my place. They were going
west, late on the afternoon of the 29th Sept. Has anyone else seen
White-browed or Masked Woodswallows in the Sydney Region recently?

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba NSW