birding-aus

Trip Report Yamba/Coffs Harbour/ Harrington

Subject: Trip Report Yamba/Coffs Harbour/ Harrington
From: allan benson <>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:05:28 -0700
Managed to get away for a couple of days mostly holidays but saw a few
good birds.

Yamba- Went to see the Mangrove Honeyeater so I  explored the peninsula
behind the Caravan Park. A good variety of birds on this walk including
Buff Banded Rail, White-cheeked Honeyeater, Brown Honeyeater, Little
Wattlebird, Rainbow Loriket, Superb Blue Wren, Mangrove Warbler, Eastern
Curlew, Pied Oystercatcher, Rufous Whistler and Brahimy Kite. Saw a
Whimbrel on the beach at Angourie.  There is a Osprey's nest containing
at least one young right on the beach at Angourie Bay.

The Mangrove Honeyeater was interesting. I saw and heard nothing but
pished in a likely looking spot and one appeared right in front of me to
give terrific views. I pished a second bird in another spot. Obviously
these birds a very territorial.

Saw an interesting Straw Necked Ibis on the road from Yamba-Angourie. My
son thought it was a Glossy Ibis so we stopped to look. From a distance
the head and breast looked all black with a white belly. Through the
binoculars there was the faintest white line down the neck. Pizzey as
well as Slater show the immatures with very white necks but Simpson and
Day show the immature a little more closely to what we saw.

We went to the Northern Shoveller spot near Lawrence. It is really dry
in this area and I would suggest the water level in the swamp has
dropped considerably since the last sighting. Only Pied Stilts could be
seen paddling around in the swamp and no ducks.

Cowans Reserve near Grafton - There is still plenty of water and
waterbirds- mostly Black Ducks and Dusky Moorhen but saw one Jacana. The
resident White-bellied Sea-eagle was sitting at a Black Swan's nest when
I got there. It then flew off and attacked, killed and was  still
devouring a Little Black Cormorant when we left. Perhaps this was the
fate of the Pintail. Peregine Falcon was also seen patrolling the swamp.

Harrington - We walked through the litoral rain forest towards the beach
and saw lots of birds including female Regent Bowerbird, Figbird,
Lewin's Honeyeater, Golden Whistler and an unidentified pigeon(s) which
clattered through the trees  above our heads. My wife nearly stepped on
a snake(which didn't thrill her). It didn't want to move off the track
so we got excellent views - about 800 cms with a yellow belly. It was
very pretty and looked like some sort of tree snake( any suggetions??).
We saw Southern Emu-Wren in the grass at the edge of the swamp.

Allan

Coffs Harbour- A morning walk yielded Buff Banded Rail (almost in
Mcdonalds), Male Regent Bowerbird, Scarlet Honeyeaters and a Koel
calling.

Harrington - Wal
--
Allan Benson
8 Sherston Close Niagara Park NSW Australia