birding-aus

Closed outback areas

To: "birding-aus, " <>
Subject: Closed outback areas
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 20:07:17 +1000
I presume Tony and Michael do not mean that Birds Australia should be making
approaches to the relevant bodies for permission to enter land for
"tickers".  Orthothological study groups would seek permission in the first
place and I very much doubt they would be refused entry if they could show
that they would act in a responsible manner.

The reports from the Grafton area show that "tickers" do not always show
they can act in this manner.  I find it amazing that Eddie Ash stated in his
posting of 20 August that the manager of Mt Lyndhurst commented that "we
were the only people who had ever asked him for permission".  Yet we find Mt
Lyndhurst mentioned regularly.

It is fine to state that "most of the properties up there are in fact crown
land on 99yr leases" but why is this the case?  Simply because those living
in those areas are not entitled to purchase freehold land.  If the same
situation applied to city blocks, we would all be paying to provide housing
and gardens etc that we would never own.  I know that I wouldn't want
birders (or anyone else) walking through my yard even if it was leased.

Common courtesy such as obtaining permission to enter even leased land would
seem to be the logical answer.  In 40 years, I have only been denied access
to one small area of one property.  I always asked though and kept my
promise of no shooting, no chasing stock, no driving on wet roads, etc.

Terry Pacey
TOOWOOMBA QLD 4350