birding-aus

Closed outback areas

To: Hugo Phillipps <>
Subject: Closed outback areas
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 20:31:46 +0930

Ok Hugo, but I think you know that wasn't what I meant. I was talking about BA making formal approaches to perhaps state pastoral boards to set up a procedure by which members of BA, BOCA, SAOA, COGS, etc., can confidently request permission to enter these lands for ornithological study. What you have quoted to me, and which I already had a copy of, is the BA policy statement. What we need here is a practical mechanism for use with these property managers, ie an accredited application procedure which presents us in a favourable light. I believe BA to be in the best position nationally to do this, better anyway than lots of individuals making ad hoc approaches to individual property managers.
Tony.

At 02:03  23/09/00 +1000, you wrote:
Hi Tony -

At 05:53 PM 22/09/00 +0930, you wrote:
> Perhaps Birds Australia should lead the way by making formal application
>on behalf of birders in general, establishing some guidelines for us all to
>follow.

We do have some guidelines for recreational birding.  One paragraph reads:

3.4     Be informed about the location being visited.  Do not enter restricted
areas such as reference areas which are set aside to monitor the
undisturbed environment.  Respect the rights of all landowners and do not
enter private land without permission.  Remember that traditional lands may
be subject to additional regulations and respect the rights of traditional
owners to care for their land.  Regardless of the location, obey the laws
which govern access to the area being visited.

Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>

   ADELAIDE BIRDING with Tony Russell. South Australia by 4WD
   phone : 08 8337 5959  , o/s 61 8 8337 5959
   e-mail:
   There's nothing quite like the feeling of seeing a new bird is there?