birding-aus

A couple of new birds at a well visited site

Subject: A couple of new birds at a well visited site
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:26:22 +1000

G'day all

I've been birding in a patch of bush in the Grampians a few km north of Dunkeld
(Vic) on a regular basis for some 15 years.  There is always something of
interest but by now I thought I knew the birds.  Yesterday the first birds I saw
were a pair of Bassian Thrush and a female Pink Robin - both new species for the
site.  Lots of good regulars around: Southern Emu-wren, White-browed Babbler,
Yellow-tufted Honeyeater, Buff-rumped Thornbill etc.  Over the years it has been
a great spot.

If anyone is interested in directions:

>From Dunkeld head north towards HallsGap for a couple of km.  Don't turn onto
the Halls Gap Road but keep on the Victoria Valley Road.  The turnoff is to the
left and not signed but if you get to the Grampians Golf course on the right you
have gone about a km too far.  I'm not sure about the status of this bush -
probably private but adjoining the National Park.  The tracks are public in any
case.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Clark
45 Carmichael Street, Hamilton, Victoria, 3300
www.ansonic.com.au/clarks/sw_birds.htm