birding-aus

An Encounter with the NSW Police

Subject: An Encounter with the NSW Police
From: (Richard Johnson)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:29:39 +1000
Hi Allan

For what it's worth, I've seen ONJ's on the road from time to time, and also
see the odd roadkill. This includes both NQ and SCQ. I recall seeing a paper
a while back that showed that the diet of the bird(s) examined -ants,
terrestrial beetles - was consistent with feeding on the ground. They don't
do that all the time though, indeed it might even be specific to certain
habitats. Work in NE NSW showed that ONJ's forage at the canopy edge of
trees, taking insects off the leaves, something I once saw a bird doing at
dusk near Murwillumbah.
>From late summer to early winter, there is a dispersal of sub-adult male
foxes from their natal territories, prior to breeding. I suppose Dad and/or
Mum moves them on. This seems to correspond with a peak in fox road-kills in
southern Qld. I suspect that you were seeing the same phenomenon down around
Warren. There could be something in your conjecture - foxes certainly
scavenge roadkills. I expect that many inexperienced foxes get run over just
because they cross at the wrong time, but others may well be hit while
feeding or even walking along the road looking for food.

Regards, Richard