birding-aus

Bladensburg National Park

To: <>
Subject: Bladensburg National Park
From: "m & j corbett" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:56:32 +1000
As a recent initiate to Birding-Aus this is my first submission.

I have just returned from a 2 month birding tour of Queensland taking in the usual and well known spots - Lamington,Eungella, Townsville, Cairns, Daintree, Karumba, Mt Isa etc.,
However there was one park which I suspect is little known and therefore rather overlooked , which I would like to bring to your attention.
                                    BLADENSBURG NATIONAL PARK
Located 6km south of Winton.
Following a suggestion from Rosemary Payet of Townsville BOCA and further encouragement from Bob Forsyth of Mt Isa I visited the Park in early May spending about 5hours to record the following birds :

RUFOUS-CROWNED EMU-WREN
HALL'S BABBLER
SPINIFEXBIRD
SPINIFEX PIGEON
PLUM-HEADED FINCH
PAINTED FINCH
ZEBRA FINCH
WHITE-BREASTED WOODSWALLOW
WHITE-BROWED WOODSWALLOW
MASKED WOODSWALLOW
BLACK-FACED WOODSWALLOW
LITTLE WOODSWALLOW
AUSTRALIAN BUSTARD
DIAMOND DOVE
CRESTED PIGEON
BROWN SONGLARK
RUFOUS SONGLARK
SPOTTED HARRIER
BUDGERIGAR
GALAH
COCKATIEL
MALLEE RINGNECK
HOODED ROBIN
WHITE-WINGED FAIRY-WREN
CRESTED BELLBIRD
BANDED LAPWING
HORSFIELD'S BRONZE-CUCKOO
STRIPED HONEYEATER
GREY-HEADED HONEYEATER
WHITE-PLUMED HONEYEATER
SINGING HONEYEATER
YELLOW-THROATED MINER
BROLGA
MAGPIE
JACKY WINTER
APOSTLEBIRD
EMU
BLACK-FACED CUCKOO-SHRIKE
MAGPIE LARK
WILLIE WAGTAIL
RAINBOW BEE-EATER
MISTLETOEBIRD
WHITE-WINGED TRILLER
I  should add that prior to my visit I contacted the Ranger who very obligingly directed me to the best sites for the interesting birds.    As per :
 Take the road to Skull Hole, but continue past the 'PRIVATE ROAD' sign for  2.5km to a dry creek bed.  It was here I located Hall's Babbler, which seemed to be travelling along the creek. A further 0.3km you will come to fence line and open gate.  Park here and walk 2-300m to the right.  I placed stones on the fence posts and a pink ribbon in a solitary tree 50m inside the fenceline.  I found the Emu-wrens in this area.  Also excellent views of Spinifexbird.
        Geoff. Walker