birding-aus

Common Sandpiper in Melbourne

To: Lawrie Conole <>
Subject: Common Sandpiper in Melbourne
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 07:35:13 +0900
We have some Common Sandpipers, three or four, which are ALWAYS at Penrice
saltfields in the same spot, have been there for years, all year round.
Don't these migrate like other waders?
And speaking of waders, Tolderol Game Reserve still has hundreds of Curlew
Sandpipers and Red-necked Stints. This is in May! The CSPs are still very
much in non-breeding plumage whilst some of the Stints are showing some red
on their necks. There is also one Long-toed Stint in non-breeding and some
Sharp-tailed sandpipers around, and last Monday we saw one Double-banded
Plover with its chest bands starting to get darker. The White-winged Black
Terns have all gone, but the Lewin's Rails and Spotless Crakes are
currently easy to see.
Having another look tomorrow.(Sat)

Which I did, only to find the Stints and Curlew Sandpipers still there, if
anything in even greater numbers. The Sharpies are starting to colour up,
but having a client with me I couldn't take the time necessary to find the
Double-banded Plover or the Long-toe. Couldn't see any Lewin's Rails or
Spotless Crakes which was a downer for my client.
Along Lake Alexandrina I was pleased to see the Cape Barren Geese have
returned in large numbers, and very surprisingly found a group of six
Bar-tailed Godwits between Milang and Clayton, still very much in
non-breeding plumage.

Cheers. Tony.

At 05:32  5/05/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Hugo Phillipps wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any comments on how common Common Sandpipers are around
Port