birding-aus

Re NHT Journal & owl nesting boxes

To: Rachelle Levingston <>
Subject: Re NHT Journal & owl nesting boxes
From: Bob Sothman <>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:26:35 +1030
The latest NHT journal contains an informative article on the  use of nesting
boxes to attract owls which in turn reduced the rat population in cane fields in
NQ.

The question is ..... where is it possible to get a suitable, detailed design of
a nesting box suitable for Boobook & Barn owls.

I have planted a few thousand trees over the last 10 years on my place near
Adelaide and during that time the bird population has certainly increased, e.g.
currently have 4 Frogmouths in residence  (plus a Koala in the River Red Gum
near the house the last few days) and there was an immature Boobook around late
last year.   I assume an owl  nesting box would help the owl population as there
are not that many big old trees in the immediate vicinity.  Any advice would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Sothman
Adelaide