birding-aus

Victorian Marine, estuarine and coastal conservation

Subject: Victorian Marine, estuarine and coastal conservation
From: stuart dashper <>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 08:59:00 +1100
Dear All,

The Environment Conservation Council has released its draft recommendations for the use/conservation of the Marine, Estuarine and Coastal areas of Victoria.
You can access the Report at the ECC?s Website: www.nre.vic.gov.au/ecc/index.htm.

The ECC is a Victorian Government advisory body that makes recommendations concerning the balanced use of Crown Land in Victoria.  The Draft Recommendations for its Marine, Estuarine and Coastal Investigation of Victoria are the culmination of over 8 years of work.
The ECC are inviting public submissions on the Marine, Estuarine and Coastal Investigation until 25 February, 2000 (brief extensions to this date are possible, but you must contact the ECC prior to 25 February).  The ECC will hand final recommendations to the State Government at the end of June 2000.

The ECC relies on submissions from the public and this process offers a real chance to aid the long term conservation of the coastal areas of Victoria. As you all know large roosting/feeding areas for waders are contained within this region that includes all of Western Port Bay, Corner Inlet etc. The recent discussions on Little Tern and Hooded Plover also highlight the need for conservation areas to be established in this ecosystem with a focus on bird conservation. Submissions do not have to be long and can be as detailed as you feel necessary. However I feel that the birding community has not yet let the ECC know how important these areas are and now is a good chance to rectify that situation. There has been substantial opposition to the ECC recommendations (Summarised briefly below) from sections of the fishing lobby and others and unless the ECC receives support it is possible that their recommendations will not be implemented. If you have the time please consider sending your thoughts/local knowledge/information on the avifauna of this area and the need to protect it to the ECC as a submission. Submissions can be very general or quite specific about localities and species. Please do not forget to congratulate the ECC, who in a far-sighted manner are proposing the establishment of Marine National Parks to cover 6% of our coastal waters. This is a great leap forward from the current situation where only 0.05% of our coastal waters have a high level of protection.

I have a copy of some submission guidelines prepared by the Marine and Coastal Community Network, a non-government community information program, which I?m quite happy to send to people as an attachment (although I?m off on holiday so you?ll have to contact me today).

The Marine, Estuarine and Coastal Investigation proposes recommendations for the management of all Victoria?s coastal waters.  The recommendations include proposals for new, and recommendations for existing, marine protected areas.  It also proposes new aquaculture ventures.
In summary, the ECC have proposed:
·       12 Marine National Parks along the Victorian Coastline.  These are highly protected i.e. no-take.
·       11 smaller Marine Sanctuary Areas in specific locations. These are also no-take areas.
·       5 Marine Conservation Parks that take in the existing multiple-use marine protected areas e.g. Bunurong, Corner Inlet.  No new multiple-use parks are proposed.
·       15 Special Management Areas that offer low level protection for special sites.
·       8 Aquaculture Zones where the ECC believes there is sufficient information to progress aquaculture.
·       7 Aquaculture Investigation Areas where further work is required to define the exact areas suitable for aquaculture.

Contact Details.
Environment Conservation Council
3rd Floor, 250 Victoria Parade, East Melbourne 3002
Phone   03 9412 5100
Toll free 1800 134 803
Fax 03 9412 5153
Email: