birding-aus

Tawny Frogmouth

To: "'Carol Page'" <>
Subject: Tawny Frogmouth
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:21:31 +1100
Hi Carol,
Bob Taylor (presumably your informant) asked me about this on Tuesday night at
a Fauna Survey Group meeting. I promised to consult HANZAB, which I duly did
and the only reference I could find pertaining to Tawny Frogmouth consumption
of snakes was in the diet section (where else?) where it was recorded that
snake scales were found in the stomachs of some nestlings. There were a number
of references to observations of the birds taking frogs and small mammals,
these were also recorded frequently in the stomach contents. White-lipped
Snakes are not terribly large and would presumably not be terribly hard for a
frogmouth to handle. Given that no such behaviour is referred to in HANZAB,
Bob's observation would be worth recording somewhere, I would have thought.
regards,
Susan

Susan Myers
Ph. +61 3 9899 9303