birding-aus

Birding-aus Birdwatching Tourism

Subject: Birding-aus Birdwatching Tourism
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 22:37:41 -0800 (PST)
As a follow on to this topic, and with so much being
circulated re birding and birding tourism both here
and overseas, here's my halfpenny worth.

For some time now I've been making up maps with shaded
in sections that relate to where a certain bird is
predominantly sighted.

Scanning the map up and transferring it to Micrsoft
publisher files. The whole intention of this along
with many other of my good friends of these parts is
to compile either a 650 megabyte CD, or on one 1.44
put an individual birds database, placing of all the
info on a bird species to a map that can be updated as
the food supply of that particular bird depletes or
increases in the area? i.e. one 1.44 floppy disk to
one bird?

Why on computer disk? saves trees? not long ago we had
in these parts a great little handbook that had many
of our local birds listed. Would have been wonderful
if all Oz had the same? like small area maps to cover
the whole of Oz. I gave out as prizes to many this
book,
and got many good responses, for the Birds-Oz net
competitions, sadly the local council have decided to
stop printing them? they were much loved by the
children I gave them to, in hospitals, etc etc that I
am tempted to go ahead and reproduce it myself and to
heck with everything that may be thrown at me? legally
speaking.

If you would like to partake in a forum on the "Big Oz
Bird" project then drop me an email and lets see what
we can come up with eh? I have everything needed to
make it happen just need some viewpoints on where you
think we should go? how about any profits to "Birds
Australia" and this email list competitions?

Have to dash to my ICE meeting tonight so catch you
all tomorrow ! TTFN JAG

P.S. ICE = Independent Computer Enthuisiasts

Oh yes special message for Uncle Tones in Adelaide
exactly what did catch fire in your last bushfires
there? did you inhale anything? hahahaha