birding-aus

Re[2]: birding-aus Fairy Martins

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re[2]: birding-aus Fairy Martins
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:02:50 +1100

Subject: Re: birding-aus Fairy Martins
Author:  Atriplex Services <> at mailgate
Date:    18/11/99 7:18

> Although The Readers Digest Book of Australian Birds says that F.M.s fly out o
their nests at daybreak, "ours" sleep in for over half
> an hour before departing.

I've observed the same thing with "our" Welcome Swallows. They also stay
in much later in inclement weather. They're not silly, are they?
Anne

During numerous pre dawn banding operations I have always noted that Fairy
Martins remain in their nests for some time after first light, they begin to
call softly while in the nest and then fly out individualy. when caught in the
mist net set across the bridge or tunnel the remainder of the colony only
"erupt" out of their nests if the operator aproaches the net to extract the
birds that are caught, probably as a result of alarm calls from the captured
birds.

Alan Leishman

Royal Botanic Gardens,
Sydney
--
Atriplex Services (Pronounced A-tree-plex)
Environmental Consultants, Landscaping Contractors,

quotes)

quotes)