birding-aus

birding-aus Fairy Martins

To: "you all" <>
Subject: birding-aus Fairy Martins
From: "Michael J Hunter" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 01:35:18 +1100
We have six Fairy Martin nests under the eaves outside our bedroom in a busy traffic area.
The birds are almost domesticated, flying in and out over our heads, unpreturbed by the veranda lights going on and off. Ten years ago on the opposite (western) side of the house a similar small colony abandoned their nests after a single event of walking along beneath the nests and switching on the lights.
Perhaps they come from Homebush Bay Park where they nest under a concrete culvert bridge, unfazed by the passing parade.Whether or not they are intermittently lit up at night there I dont know.
Although The Readers Digest Book of Australian Birds says that F.M.s fly out of their nests at daybreak, "ours" sleep in for over half an hour before departing.
I presume that they are breeding in the nests and not just roosting, as they fly in and out of them frequently throughout the day.

                                          Cheers
                                                           Michael