birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Protocol/Forest Ravens

To: Glen WHITE <>, Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Protocol/Forest Ravens
From: "Lawrence E. Conole" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:25:49 +1100
Just back from a week at Gunbower Island, so I'll jump in here on this one

> FR's are apparently rare in this area but more common further west along
> the coast,especially the Otways and as as far east as Aireys Inleet.

I'd agree with that summary.

> Identification mainly by bill shape (more massive than Little); shorter
> tail, obvious even in flight, and call, deeper than both Little and
> Australian although sometime with a "trailing-off" quality. When
> perched,the FR's tail is level with wing-tips (tail longer in Little and
> Australian.

Call is really the only safe field character for FRs in the Otways.

> Marilyn Hewish gave the following information:
> "FR's tend to be in denser habitats than Littles and get down on the
> ground under the forest canopy which Littles don't tend to do. In the
> Otways any raven calling from under the forest canopy will be a Forest"

I would be very cautious indeed about following that advice!  You must still
listen to the call, regardless.  Margaret Cameron described the call and its
variations well.  Despite what has been posted on the list, Australian Ravens
do occur in the Otway Ranges - though mostly on the inland (northern)
foothills - and though not abundant should not be discounted.  There may be
incorrect AR records from the Otways in Atlas I, but if you tick off every
'under the canopy' Corvus as a FR, then Atlas II will be worthless for
resolving the distribution of ravens in the Otways.

Cheers -- Lawrie

--
LAWRIE CONOLE